Happy DOGust! According to the ASPCA, around 6.5 million animals enter shelters nationwide every year. This number is substantial. There are millions of pets all waiting for the chance to find their forever homes! International Homeless Animals’ Day was created by the International Society for Animal Rights in 1992. It includes many activities and is meant to raise awareness to pet overpopulation. What better day to consider adopting a pet than August 19th, International Homeless Animals’ Day?! Here are some of the benefits of adopting a pet!
- It is rewarding for both you and your new buddy! You both gain a new best friend not to mention that your buddy now has permanent home with a loving family.
- It can be more cost effective. Adoption in most cases is much cheaper than what you would pay a breeder for a purebred. Also many pets at shelters are already spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and microchipped before being adopted out.
- It can certainly improve your health. Pets are well known to be very therapeutic and can help people cope with stress, anxiety, depression, etc. They can even help lower your blood pressure, and increase serotonin and dopamine levels!
- Adopting supports spaying and neutering. This will help decrease the number of animals that may end up in shelters over time.
- Most pets in shelters are already house-trained.
- Last but most definitely not least, you get a best friend and unconditional love, and that's all we need!
As Anatole France once said, “Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened”. So consider adoption today! You could save a life and help decrease the number of animals in shelters! If you do decide to adopt, Zany Pet Shop has you covered with all of the supplies you need. So don’t forget to check out our shop!